Sunday, March 27, 2011

Curriculum Video Description

My video is about the program that I teach, which is called Read Right. This is a reading intervention program designed to help struggling readers. It is a somewhat complex program that many people don't fully understand. If you aren't trained in it, it is a bit of a jump from traditional reading theory. Many administrators, as well as staff don't understand it, or agree with it, or believe in what it can do. It is thought to only be a fluency program, but it is not. I wanted to create this video for students, as well as staff and parents, so they would have an understanding of what it is. However, if I would show this to students, there are parts I would edit out because I think it goes somewhat over their heads. They don't know anything about reading theory, so I wouldn't want to bog them down with that stuff! I have seen amazing success and transformations from my students that they have not had before. I completely believe in this program.

I edited a few of the pictures. I put a daisy border around the picture on the opening slide because I thought it needed something to make it stand out. I blurred the faces of students and the teachers because these are not people from my own school and I borrowed the pictures from the Read Right website and Facebook page. I don't have any pictures of kids with me at home this week, during spring break, so I borrowed those. I would use my own students for the video I will show staff, in order to make that connection. I also added the text bubble stickers and text to the final picture to show what doors reading can open. I had a lot of fun with it, and found picnik to be so useful. I would use this with students, as well as at home. I also cropped and re-sized the photos.

I find it very difficult to summarize this program (as well as summarizing in general!) so please let me know if this makes sense to you, and is understandable in "laymen's" terms. I rearranged slides many times in order to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment